How do I get an appointment?

Please call 312-726-1243 or email us at to inquire about setting up an appointment with one of our attorneys. Be prepared to mention how you heard about our firm as well as a brief description of your legal need. Keep in mind, an appointment or discussion with one of our attorneys does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Do you only serve people of faith?

No. We serve people of all faiths as well as people of no faith at all. We believe all humans are entitled to the rights outlined in the Constitution and welcome the opportunity to defend those rights. Nonetheless, our attorneys reserve the right to decline representing you in particular instances which may conflict with their own moral or philosophical beliefs.

How much do you charge?

Cost depends heavily on the specifics of your legal need and the time it will take to handle the matter. You will need to speak directly to an attorney to get an estimate.

How can I stay up to date on your cases?

If you'd like to follow the developments of one of our prominent cases there are several options for you to do this: Subscribe to our monthly newsletter Like us on Facebook where we post updates Follow us on Twitter where we post updates

Do you do pro bono work?

While we are not a pro bono law firm, many of our clients in civil rights cases pay minimum to nothing in attorneys fees through fee-shifting if the case is won. If you have a legal matter you cannot afford to pay for, we recommend searching for a legal aid clinic here.

Is my information confidential?

Yes. We take this very seriously and do not publicize or share privileged attorney-client information. However, if a case you are involved in has public appeal, we may ask for your permission to share details in an article or radio interview.

Can I work at Mauck & Baker?

If you wish to submit a resume and cover letter to apply to our firm, please do so electronically by emailing it to

Frequently Asked Billing Questions

Q: How can I pay? A: Check only Q: Who can I talk to if I have a question about billing? A: Our office manager, Gail, will be happy to assist you. Please call her at 312-726-1719. Q: Can you send me a copy of your W-9? A: Please contact our office manager, Gail, at 312-726-1719 to request this.

Do you charge for a consultation?

When you initially call our office, our intake specialist will speak with you and ask some general questions to determine if your legal need is something our attorneys can handle. If it is, you may be transferred to an attorney to determine how to proceed. We do not charge for this. Out of respect for your time and ours, please view our practice areas to see if your legal need is listed before calling. If it is not listed, we will likely refer you to another office if your matter is something we cannot take.

I'm from out of state. Can you still represent me?

Usually, in cases or matters involving interstate commerce or litigation. However, for other legal needs we may need to recommend finding an attorney in your state.

Who will work on my case?

This depends on each attorney's specialties and case load. It is likely that more than one attorney will work on your case. If you would like to request a specific attorney, please mention this during your initial contact with your office.

Frequently Asked Questions